Wednesday 2 March 2011

Self worth

How can you boost a child's sense of self worth? This is a child who is already showered with love by me. She is continually told that she is great and praised and congratulated for every achievement no matter how small. I still get the impression from her that she doesn't quite believe it though and she demonstrates lots of little signs of insecurity that back this up. Perhaps it's part of growing up. She's seven now and even her educational psychologist recognise that she is aware that she struggles with things her peer group find easy. She continually tells me how well she behaves at school and I wonder if she's latched onto that as something she can do better than some of the others.

Hopefully the girl picking on her will stop now. I spoke to her teacher and he was aware of it so it was true. He spoke to the girl and apparently she was much nicer today so we shall see how long it lasts.

I suppose my deepest fear is that Rebecca's low self esteem stems from her dad walking out when she was three months old. She used to say that daddy lived here until I was born and then he left. I have explained time after time that it was nothing to do with her but you don't know how much of that sinks in. It's heartbreaking to think that this might be the case as it's the one thing that i can never fix for her....

Bye for now

love Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment