Saturday 5 March 2011

Getting the balance right

It's nearly half way through the weekend and I am torn by my usual weekend dilemma. Rebecca is at least a year behind the national average in literacy and numeracy and needs extra work. So how much extra work should I do with her at weekends? She has her usual homework and her special maths programme which we will work through tomorrow but I always end the weekend feeling guilty that I haven't done extra work with her. Conversely I also argue with myself that she works twice as hard as some other kids at school so having free time at weekends is also valuable.

It's a tough one to get right and I usually feel that I've failed dismally! Today I  did consciously take the decision not to do any schoolwork with Rebecca. She got up very early and has been a bit tired and grumpy so there's no point in pushing her today. Tomorrow will be homework and that will probably be all we get done. We will read tonight and tomorrow though.

So much about parenting is finding the right balance. I sometimes think being a tightrope walker would be easier.

Bye for now

Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment