Sunday 13 March 2011

Digging deep

No, this isn't a post about gardening. Although God knows, my garden is in desperate need of a makeover. It's so bad that even the local foxes are looking for somewhere less messy. Instead, I've been reading Brene Brown's book again and something she said has stuck in my mind.

If things get really bad, and it's one of those days when you just want to hide under the duvet and hope the world can't find you, what do you use to help you dig deep and find the strength and energy to carry on and get through it?

You may have the same first reaction as me and think well, I just get on with it. But how do you find the inner strength? I think that for me, it's two things. Firstly, the girls; my children are the driving force for me in everything I try to do. This is strengthened by their Dad letting them down in so many ways. It inspires me to step up to the mark.

Secondly, and you may think this is strange, but I think of everything else I have coped with in the past. It's sort of thinking that if I coped and came through that, then I can cope with anything else that the future throws at me.

I've been reading one of my favourite poems this morning. It's Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening by Robert Frost. The last stanza always sticks in my mind and seems approriate.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Bye for now and may you find the strength and courage to dig deep when needed.

love Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment