Monday 14 March 2011

Fitting in

I had a sad little conversation with Rebecca this morning. Well, it made me sad but she seemed OK about it. We were chatting while walking to school and she got the giggles. I kept making her laugh and she said that sometimes she pretended to laugh at school to join in. I'm sure this is something we've all done from time to time if we don't get a joke but it reminded me of something her sister said.

The girls were at their dad's over the weekend and came home last night. Once Rebecca had gone to bed, I was chatting with her sister and asked if Rebecca had been OK over the weekend. Katherine said she was fine but when they were at their Nan's, she seemed a bit out of it and lost and was laughing too loud in an effort to join in with the conversation.

Rebecca's problems with auditory processing mean that it can take her longer to understand things she hears. It's like a listening form of dyslexia. If she is with me, she will ask me to explain and her teacher knows to break down instructions. It's hard though to think of her struggling to keep up with a conversation. It must make her feel quite isolated.

Unfortunately not much appears to be being done to help her cope with the auditory processing problems. The emphasis seems to be on the dyslexia at the moment. She has an appointment with her paediatrician next week so I think I will discuss it with him.

Bye for now

love Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment