Monday 14 February 2011

Motivation

I would imagine that it's not always particularly easy to motivate any child with special needs and I appear to have hit a bit of a stumbling block with Rebecca at the moment. The initial euphoria over moving up a reading band has worn off now she is faced with the reality of having to read books that she finds quite difficult. She has spent the weekend trying to avoid reading with me and then after school tonight admitted she found the books too hard. She had tried to swap them back to the lower reading band but her teacher stopped her.

Rebecca does have a tendency to want to give up if something is difficult and she will revert to babyish behaviour as a coping mechanism. Tonight, for example, there was lots of thumb sucking.

In an effort to reach a compromise, I only made her read 8 pages. She did actually read very well and I gave her lots of praise. I can see this being a continuing issue with Rebecca though. I will just have to carry on trying to motivate and encourage her. Bribery is always a good option!!

Bye for now

love Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment