Tuesday 27 December 2011

Statutory Assessment

I haven't written about this before, but I thought some people might find it useful to read about my experiences. I recently requested a Statutory Assessment for Rebecca. Although her school has I insisted that they are doing all they can for her, even without a fogmal diagnosis of dyslexia, her progress has been slow and tortuous. Her teacher has said several times that she wished she could spend more time helping Rebecca.

I first wrote to the head of the Local Education Authority using a sample letter provided by www.IPSEA.co.uk. This is a fantastic site who offer impartial help and advice to parents with special needs children. I stressed in the letter that I was prepared to appeal if rejected a d to go to a SEN tribunal if necessary.

I was then asked to submit evidence about Rebecca to support my application. I would advise other parents to make this as detailed as possible. I covered all problems she'd had since birth and also quoted the codes of practice that Education Authorities are supposed to follow. I also included copies of all reports I had ever received about Rebecca as appendixes. Her school and the Educational psychologists also provided evidence.

Once my evidence had been submitted iwas I voted to meet with the SEN officer assigned as my caseworker. This was useful as I was able to stress what outcome I wanted. The caseworker then presented my case to the SEN panel and thankfully they agreed! So Rebecca will now receive a full Statutory Assessment and will receive either a statement of special needs or a note in lieu. Either way, Rebecca will get extra help at school. The assessment is still ongoing so I will let you know what happens.

Speak soon, love Riki xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment